Published 4/23/2011 Miami Herald
Importance of having Internet Access:
• Distressed Florida homeowners looking for help with their mortgages can apply for the state’s new Hardest Hit Fund only via the Internet.
• Unemployment applications are handled primarily online, though a phone option does exist during specific hours Monday through Thursday.
• Social Security’s yearly estimates for those who have yet to retire will be available only online, a move designed to save $70 million.
• Applications for food assistance, temporary cash assistance, Medicaid and refugee assistance are handled online. Applicants without access can get a printed application — but they must first travel to one of the Department of Children & Families ACCESS Florida community partner offices or customer service centers.
• Appointments for immigration services must be made online.